Pages

Translate

Friday, June 26, 2020

DFI Day 8

Empowerment


Today was spent focussing on empowerment. Empowerment of the tamariki and empowerment of the teachers.


The DFI came about to empower teachers to be able to use the digital tools that we have to


teach effectively to accelerate learning and to give our tamariki rangatiratanga.


We need to empower our young people to be active participants in their own lives.
They need to be creative directors of their own lives and not passive consumers.


What we are teaching out tamariki will come and go but if we can equip them with the confidence to be life long learners we have done our job! Digitally fluent teachers will hopefully produce digitally fluent children.

Technology Curriculum
Unpacking a new curriculum document is always a bit tricky and having the time and guidance to really dig down and explore was great. Below is a simple visual which helped clarify it for me.


I got a chance to explore Raranga Matihiko and all the cool resources available there. 

But the most empowering part of the day for me was the chance to participate in a bubble and learn all about coding using Mihi Maker. Such a cool resource and I absolutely loved spending time creating my digital mihi. I didn't quite get it finished but I spent the evening completing it as I wanted to share it on my blog. I am desperate to show the tamariki how to do this as they will LOVE it. 

So did I feel empowered? Yes definitely and the feeling that I got from being able to accomplish something really cool, that I couldn't do before was a reminder of the daily challenge that we have as educators to uplift our tamariki, top up their kete and empower them to be creative directors of their own lives.


You need to use your arrows to move me through the game. Have a go!



No comments:

Post a Comment