Pages

Translate

Thursday, May 21, 2020

DFI Day 3

Mihi

It was so nice to be welcomed back and to be a part of this large online cohort. Starting the day with karakia from Makaore set the tone and the efficient way we moved through the agenda maximised the learning. What a day of learning it was... 

I met the wonderful Kerry and her team and felt very included in the space...ngā mihi Kerry.


Manaiakalani Pedagogy

Listening to Dorothy present on Create was a reminder to me that the  CREATE part of the Manaiakalani pedagogy is so important as we encourage those tamariki who may be disconnected with learning or unmotivated to stay excited. It really is at the heart of the matter and has been around for so long. If we look at research from 60 years ago we see tamariki creating, it's not new! Reflecting on our 8 weeks lockdown, the joy that sparked the tamariki over this period, was the create, there was an abundance of problem solving, adapting and thinking outside the square over this period. Tamariki were tapping into their creativity.



Youtube

Revisiting Youtube and the benefits of creating playlists is an area that is new to me and something that will definitely increase my workflow. Rather than hunting around and then being diverted to other kaupapa I personally can see benefit in taking the time and getting these playlists embedded into my site. If this is going to save me time I can only imagine how much more focussed the tamariki will be if they are not zooming around wasting time as well. It was also a chance to recheck settings.


Levelling up

I enjoyed working on Google Draw today with Makaore and Gerhard. This is an area where my tamariki are better than me at using and I really wanted to develop my skills around this. A perfect opportunity to earn how to layer and also use the tools to trace and colour images. I feel a lot more confident with this tool now and see the benefits of being able to incorporate it in the create pedagogy space.It was fun and has endless possibilities.


Reflection

As always these days are so beneficial to me as a teacher and mentor but also personally as I take time to put aside the daily rituals and really focus on developing my weaknesses or areas that I feel less confident in.  I wasn't sure about how the online delivery would go but after finishing todays session I am excited, positive, buzzing and ready for next week.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,
    It was so good to see you back in the group and I am glad your were able to transition in seamlessly. We have such a talented team to support this intense, online kaupapa AND so many creative and talented teachers in the mix as well.
    We are all learning new things from each other.

    I am so hopeful that the creativity that poured out of people's 'bubbles' during the lockdown will be impossible to stamp out as we resume busy lives- personally and professionally.

    Keep sharing what is going on in your space

    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that you are taking the opportunity and even as a seasoned user you can develop further and build confidence. The creativity of people (Tamariki especially) has been shown out in remote learning for sure . Kei runga noa to pohi.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tena koe Heather

    Wonderful to have you join our group in the online DFI Heather. Glad you got the theme loaded it looks great and I like that background image. Judging by all your labels, it looks you do quite a bit of blogging, ka pai! Looking forward to getting to know you more Heather :)

    ReplyDelete